The best test cell starts with understanding our customers’ needs. Our working history with local and international defence customers has given us a strong appreciation of the issues that matter to Defence.
As Australia’s leading gas turbine MRO, we specialise in designing, installing and maintaining gas-turbine engine test cells for turbofan, turboprop and turboshaft engines. We provide demonstrated evidence to design your new engine test facility or upgrade your existing facility. We also provide ongoing in-service support.
- Developing original specifications with the customer
- Detailing solution design including controls, data acquisition and analysis
- Installing control cabin, thrust frame and engine adaptor
- Providing fuel storage and supply tanker
- Supplying safety systems
- Providing a personnel communication system
- Installing engine and facility control software
- Providing post installation verification
- Producing full operating publications
- Delivering training solutions
Our engineering team has long-established and deep expertise in engine test cells. In two separate locations, the team designed and installed Australasia’s only dual redundant F404/F414 gas turbine engine test cell for pre and post maintenance testing. In 2010, the Australian Defence Force recognised this test cell project with the Industry Team of the Year – Outstanding Achievement Award in the rapid acquisition category.
In early 2020, we upgraded the existing Engine Test Cell 1 (ETC1) at Amberley to allow for work on the new F135 engine. To accommodate the differences in the F135 engine, which is approximately three times the weight, one-and-a-half times the length and has twice the thrust compared with the F404/F414 engines, our engineers have designed a completely new engine mounting and thrust management system, a new noise attenuation system and have reinforced the building structure at the test facility. The engine test facility will be ready to meet demand in Australia and Asia-Pacific from mid-2020 onward.
Once complete, we will operate:
- A dual-engine capable test cell for F404 and F414 at RAAF Williamtown
- A dual-engine capable test cell for F414 and F135 at RAAF Amberley
We also operate a third engine test cell at Amberley for the Honeywell AGT1500.